Boo! Are you scared of burglars and other intruders entering your home? Whether you live in a good or bad neighborhood, there’s always the threat of intruders at your door.
But with a home security system, even monsters, mummies, and vampires won’t scare you … Here’s why a home security system should be next on your shopping list:
Top Reasons to Buy a Home Security System
Home security systems may seem like an expensive investment; however when it comes to the safety of you and your family, is there any price tag too high? Naturally, you don’t want to waste money on a home security system that won’t be effective. But today more than ever, home security systems are robust, comprehensive, and reliable. If someone’s on your property or in your home when they shouldn’t be, your home security system will be your best friend.
In addition to monitoring your home while you’re inside, another one of the core benefits is that you can monitor your home while you’re away — while you’re at work, while you’re on vacation, if you own a secondary property, if you own a seasonal vacation home, and in many other situations.
With the proper home security system installed in your home, you’re protecting yourself and your family, and you’re protecting your possessions and your property. It’s the best way to ensure your safety at all times.
What System Should You Buy?
Today, do-it-yourself systems are taking up much of the home security system market. Still, professionally installed systems can be purchased as well. Each option comes with pros and cons.
Do-it-yourself systems, for example, are typically less expensive; however, they take more time to install, and you won’t have the satisfaction of knowing that a professional security expert put in your system. Additionally, do-it-yourself systems often cover just one area of your home. For example, you may be able to get a camera for your front door or doorbell alerts that go to your phone, but monitoring every entrance to your home isn’t an option. Professional systems, on the other hand, generally offer protection and security around the entire perimeter of your home and at every entrance.
Of course, there are numerous options you can choose for basically every type of system. The key questions you’ll want to ask yourself when it comes to choosing and buying a system are as follows:
- Do you want Wi-Fi accessible security, or do you prefer a hardwired system?
- How do you want the authorities contacted? Some systems can call the police right away when there’s a breach of security while other systems will simply notify you, the homeowner.
- Do you want video surveillance as well? If so, should the video surveillance feed go directly to the central security system for monitoring, or would you like to monitor the video feed yourself (again, generally via your smartphone or computer)?
- Should your system include alarms (bells, sirens, etc.)? Should lights flash? Should the doors lock automatically in the event of a system breach?
- Do you want to purchase a one-time system for your long-term use, or do you want to go into a contract with a professional security company?
- Are you looking for a system that may lower your homeowner’s insurance prices? Some insurance agencies will provide discounts if you purchase the right home security system. This is only offered in select cases, with select agencies, and select security systems — but it’s often a great way to lower insurance prices.
Have questions concerning alarm systems and how they may affect your homeowner’s insurance policy? It’s always a good idea to keep your home as protected as possible; however, managing insurance in tandem can certainly be a challenge.
To learn more about maintaining optimal safety in your home, give Mooney Insurance a call today. You can also stop into our office to sit down with a knowledgeable agent who can answer all of your questions.